The 20th Grodins Research Symposium

Posted: April 4, 2016, 12:18pm

Every year, the Department of Biomedical Engineering hosts the Fred S. Grodins Graduate Research Symposium, where BME PhD students showcase their research through poster and podium presentations. We celebrated the 20th one last Friday, and received a brief summary and history of this field at USC. This was my first conference as a graduate student, and it was exciting learning about the various projects my peers are currently working on. A full day event, the symposium consisted of two poster sessions, each with two sub-categories (neuroengineering, cell and tissue engineering, devices and diagnostics, and imaging), eight oral presentations, a department chair address from Dr. Ellis Meng, and a keynote speech by Dr. Joel W. Hay.

A variety of recognitions were given out at the end to highlight exemplary scholarly work. In regards to innovation, there was the Wallace H. Coulter Award, which was given to a student working on an interdisciplinary engineering solution for an unmet or underserved clinical need, and the Stevens Innovation Award, which recognized my good friend Yuta Ando’s translational, cancer-related project. In addition, there were awards given to the best posters in each category. I was fortunate enough to be awarded the Best First Year PhD Student Poster, which includes a fully funded trip to the BMES Annual Meeting next semester. Andrew Petersen, another PhD student in my lab, won the Best Poster in Cell & Tissue Engineering, so he’ll be coming to Minneapolis with me as well! The Grodins Symposium was a lot of fun because I met new BME PhD students and learned about everybody’s research projects. I’m already looking forward to next year’s!