Personal Branding event by VGSA

Posted: March 24, 2017, 10:05am

As an international student coming from a university that has a crowd of around 1000 students, USC is like an ocean. Because now I have to make myself stand out among around 25,000 graduate students. And these are not just any graduate students. USC picks out the best and brightest students from around the world. So it’s not enough if I have awesome grades. Or it’s not enough if I have cool internships. In fact, none of it will even matter to my potential employer if I’m not able to showcase it. It makes no sense having it all if I’m not able to show the skills that I have to offer to the recruiter. This is exactly where personal branding comes into the picture.

On my first council meet, the first event we proposed was personal branding. I realized that grad students can get so involved in academics that very often we tend to overlook the importance of being involved in on-campus activities and in general building and improving our personality. The first person I thought of as a speaker for this event was Katherine Berry. I stumbled upon her YouTube channel when I was deciding between going to grad school at USC and taking up my job offer. The first video I saw of her’s was a weekend at USC. Before I realized it, I was binge watching her videos and somewhere I knew it that I wanted to have all of this.

10 months later, here I am at USC talking about the person who is the reason behind all this. Katherine is a senior here at Marshall school of Business. She is graduating this semester with a full-time job offer. She is actively involved with the trojan marching band, society 53and many organizations. She also works as a campus tour guide. She makes youtube videos about college, career, life and she also has her own blog. Yup! She is a very active person.

Katherine’s YouTube Channel :

The Job Application Advice I Wish I Had in College

We had this event yesterday and it was a success. This event was open to students of all the engineering departments. Katherine spoke about the resources she found helpful while she was going through the whole job search process. She gave tips about networking with the right people and we had a very interactive Q&A session. Then after the presentation Katherine was greeted with more curious grad students with many more questions. They talked about it while enjoying pizza we ordered from Pizza studio which is actually a business run by our very own Trojan family member, a marshall alum Samit Varma. On the whole, it was a good event. And we hope to have more such events for our grad community.