Rock n Roll Los Angeles – 5K

October 28, 2018

The Rock ‘n’ Roll 5K and Half-Marathon Starting Line!

Let me just say upfront – I am not a runner. I have always been so incredibly impressed at my friends who run for fun, to relieve stress, or for extreme competition (my best friend is an Ironwoman – wow, right?). But after much convincing, a few of my labmates convinced me to sign up for a short and simple race, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Los Angeles 5K.

I had been in two 5Ks previously; however, I didn’t take those seriously and just ran or walked whenever I felt. This time, I really did aim to maintain a 10-minute per mile pace for the entire 3.1 miles. Running from Staples Center down to the Jefferson & Figueroa corner of USC and back, I maintained a 9:58 minute per mile and ran the whole thing in 30:56.

I survived!

Even if I didn’t achieve my running goal, I would have reached my fundraising one! I signed up with St. Jude and was able to raise $500 for their efforts in ending childhood cancer. If you haven’t donated this year, I’d highly recommend this incredible research hospital.

I have to say, as much as I hate it, I do want to keep this up. I’m thinking about a 10K around April and a half-marathon next Halloween? Let’s do this!

Published on October 28th, 2018

Last updated on April 1st, 2021