Adventures in Costa Rica

Checking out the active Poás Volcano!

One of my core groups of friends from undergrad has made it a mission to get together at least once a year. The five of us all live really far apart from one another. Right now, we’re in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Austin, and San Jose, Costa Rica. There isn’t a single overlap at all! Last year, we all met up in Utah for some skiing and snowboarding. This year, however, we all made the huge effort of heading out of the country to the beautiful Costa Rica!

Enjoying some gourmet coffee at Doka Estates.

Taking my second week of vacation on this wonderful trip, I had a full seven days to explore with my best friends and see the natural sites around San Jose and Puerto Viejo. We stopped by a volcano, visited one of Costa Rica’s most popular gourmet coffee producers – Doka, ziplined in among howler monkeys and sloths, and relaxed on all-black and all-white beaches.

I am so grateful to have friends that live and work in some of the coolest cities in the world. Their adventurous spirit inspires me to also seek opportunities to expand my horizons after I complete my PhD program. I cannot wait until I see them all again. I think it is highly likely we’re going to Asia next year!!

Soaring through the rainforest on over a dozen 300m ziplines!

Published on May 2nd, 2019

Last updated on April 1st, 2021