Amazon + Viterbi
Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
Are you interested in being part of cutting-edge research in the fields of artificial intelligence, computer science & engineering, and robotics? If you are, the University of Southern California invites you to apply for our USC Viterbi - Amazon Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (USC-Amazon SURE).
For 8-weeks you will work in an academic-industry collaboration under the supervision of our world-class Viterbi faculty and current PhD students. You will develop research skills that will prove invaluable in both academic and industry research environments.
In addition, you will engage in professional networking opportunities, build relationships to expand your academic and professional horizons, be able to explore the vibrant culture of Los Angeles and participate in a variety of professional development seminars.
Although the focus is on undergraduate students from backgrounds that are historically underrepresented in STEM, the program is open to all students.
Improve your research skills, increase your network and have fun!
What is Included
- Participation in cutting edge research alongside world-class researchers
- Travel to and from Los Angeles
- $650 per week stipend
- Campus housing
- Health insurance
- Educational and social activities
- End of program poster session
- Application opens on December 10, 2021
- Application closes on February 16, 2022
- Arrival: June 11-12, 2022
- Program begins and orientation takes place on June 13, 2022
- Program ends on August 5, 2022
- Departure: August 6-7, 2022
- Transcripts (unofficial, student portal generated transcripts are acceptable)
- Résumé/CV (1 page maximum)
- Statement of Purpose
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (academic preferred)
- Research experience gained by working alongside faculty researchers and PhD students
- Access to professional development seminars on topics such as conducting literature reviews, delivering effective presentations, designing technical posters, developing best practices in research, writing scientific abstracts, and applying to PhD programs
- Participation in professional networking events
- Explore the vibrant city of Los Angeles with its many cultural activities; local beaches, mountains and deserts and virtually unparalleled job and internship opportunities
- Opportunity to meet and make friends with other SURE students that share your passion for research
- Sophomore or Junior-year undergraduate student enrolled at a U.S. higher education institution (including USC)
- U.S. citizens/permanent residents, or DACA recipients* currently located in the U.S.
- Strong academic background (GPA of 3.5 or higher is recommended)
- Acceptable Majors: engineering, math, computer science, biology, chemistry and physics
- Must be available for the full length of the program (June 13 – August 5, 2022)
* Undocumented students need work authorization. (Unpaid summer internship opportunities for undocumented students regardless of work authorization can be found here.)