USC Viterbi's Partnership with The National GEM Consortium
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering maintains an active partnership with The National GEM Consortium to help fund historically underrepresented students (African Americans, American Indians, and Hispanic Americans) pursuing Master’s and Doctoral degrees in engineering and STEM disciplines .
While the GEM fellowship has several funding levels, USC Viterbi supports students at the following two GEM Levels:
- GEM Full Fellow (Industry and University Support)
- GEM University Fellow (University Support)
. Please visit the GEM Website for a complete list of GEM Fellowship levels.
GEM Application Timeline
- Students can begin working on their online GEM Fellowship Application.
- Students select a minimum of three (3) GEM Member Universities on their GEM Fellowship application.
- Students then must apply to at least one (1) graduate program at each selected GEM Member University before each University’s application deadline. Please note that the deadline to apply to the three GEM Member Universities is January 15 or the relevant engineering graduate department deadline, whichever is earlier.
- GEM Fellowship Application: Students work on their resume, statement of purpose, and obtain 3 letters of recommendation. Please visit the GEM Fellowship website for application requirements.
- USC Viterbi Graduate Application for the Fall 2023 semester becomes available.
- GEM Fellowship Application: Students can begin submitting their online GEM Fellowship application. Please visit the GEM Fellowship website for application instructions.
- USC Viterbi Graduate Application: Submit, continue or begin working on USC Viterbi’s online graduate application.
- GEM Fellowship Application: The GEM Fellowship application is due Friday, November 15, 2022. Please visit the GEM Fellowship website for application requirements.
- USC Viterbi Graduate Application: Continue working on the USC Graduate Application and complete by USC Viterbi School of Engineering deadlines for Fall 2023:
- December 15, 2022: USC Viterbi Doctoral and Master’s Deadline (Scholarship Consideration).
- January 15, 2023: USC Viterbi Master’s Deadline.
- GEM Selection Committee meets.
- GEM Employers may contact eligible GEM applicants for internship interviews for potential GEM Fellow sponsorship.
- GEM employers will begin to notify applicants about employer sponsorship.
USC Viterbi School of Engineering finalizes selection of Viterbi GEM Fellows. Selected Applicants Must:
- Verify their admittance to USC Viterbi in their YouSC
- Sign GEM Acceptance Agreement and Code of Conduct in the eGEM portal.
- Sign University Support Commitment Agreement in the eGEM portal.
- Email Juli Legat at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your intent to enroll and request an intent to enroll waiver.
- GEM Fellowship Award Letters are disseminated by the USC Viterbi School of Engineering at the end of April.
- Viterbi GEM Fellows intern with their GEM Employer Sponsors.
- USC Fall 2023 Semester begins Monday, August 21, 2023.
- USC Viterbi GEM Fellows meet with Senior Director, Student Diversity, Equity, Inclusion: Kevin Henry- email: email@example.com on USC’s campus to discuss their academic success plan.
Published on July 8th, 2019
Last updated on May 30th, 2023