Summer Research Programs for Undergraduates
[to view properly on mobile, scroll the below tab module L to R <-> and tap the heading to select]
The USC Viterbi Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) provides outstanding undergraduate students with the opportunity to compete for positions that allow them to spend 8 weeks in Los Angeles working on cutting-edge research projects under the supervision of Viterbi faculty and current Ph.D. students.
The USC Viterbi SURE program will help participants develop research skills and build important relationships that will expand their academic horizons and further their research careers. The overarching goal of SURE is to help students develop an understanding of research in engineering disciplines, and prepare students with skills for successful academic careers in engineering graduate programs.
View photo albums from previous SURE programs
Date: February 8 - 4pm
Topic: Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) programs at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering
Details : Join us and learn more about the SURE and Amazon-SURE programs. There will be time for questions.
Registration: Now Open
USC Viterbi School: SURE Program
Summer 2022 Program Dates: June 13-August 5, 2021
- Engage in cutting-edge research under the guidance of USC faculty and PhD mentors.
- Attend community-building events with other SURE participants. both on campus and around Los Angeles.
- Attend professional development seminars on topics such as conducting literature reviews, delivering effective presentations, designing technical posters, developing best practices in research, writing scientific abstracts, and applying to PhD programs.
- Present their research at the end-of-summer Research Symposium.
- Sophomore or junior-year undergraduate students enrolled at a U.S. higher education institution outside of the University of Southern California.
- U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or DACA recipient currently located in the U.S.
- Strong academic background (GPA of 3.5 or higher is recommended) in the fields of engineering, math, computer science, or hard science (biology, chemistry, physics)
- Transcripts (official or student portal generated transcripts are acceptable)
- Resume/CV (1 page maximum)
- Statement of Purpose
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (academic references preferred)
AMAZON + USC Viterbi School SURE Program
From improved collision avoidance on roads to soft robotic systems for use in space, from imaging technology for use in medicine to AI for social good, USC Viterbi is there leading the way with groundbreaking research. The research that you participate in will have real world impact and we invite you to review the list of available research projects.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Participation in cutting edge research alongside world-class researchers
- Travel to and from Los Angeles
- $650 per week stipend
- Campus housing
- Health insurance
- Educational and social activities
- End of program poster session
- Research experience gained by working alongside faculty researchers and PhD students
- Access to professional development seminars on topics such as conducting literature reviews, delivering effective presentations, designing technical posters, developing best practices in research, writing scientific abstracts, and applying to PhD programs
- Participation in professional networking events
- Explore the vibrant city of Los Angeles with its many cultural activities; local beaches, mountains and deserts and virtually unparalleled job and internship opportunities
Opportunity to meet and make friends with other SURE students that share your passion for research
Important Dates & Deadlines
- Application opens on December 10, 2021
- Application closes on February 13, 2022
- Arrival: June 11-12, 2022
- Program begins and orientation takes place on June 13, 2022
- Program ends on August 5, 2022
- Departure: August 6-7, 2022
- Sophomore or Junior-year undergraduate student enrolled at a U.S. higher education institution (including USC)
- U.S. citizens/permanent residents, or DACA recipients* currently located in the U.S.
- Strong academic background (GPA of 3.5 or higher is recommended)
- Acceptable Majors: engineering, math, computer science, biology, chemistry and physics
- Must be available for the full length of the program (June 13 – August 5, 2022)
* Undocumented students need work authorization. (Unpaid summer internship opportunities for undocumented students regardless of work authorization can be found here.)
- Transcripts (unofficial, student portal generated transcripts are acceptable)
- Résumé/CV (1-page maximum)
- Statement of Purpose
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (academic preferred)
Deadline & Notification:
- Deadline Extended to Friday, February 7, 11:59pm PST
- 2020 SURE Application Deadline is February 2, 2020, 11:59pm PST
- Participants will be notified in mid-March 2020
** Please do not contact faculty directly until you have been formally accepted into the program
For questions regarding the SURE program, please contact Tracy Charles
Published on June 6th, 2017
Last updated on January 27th, 2022