Adventures in Little Tokyo

December 11, 2015

A few weeks ago, I had a reunion with some of my college friends in the area at Sushi Gen, an authentic and group-friendly Sushi joint in Little Tokyo.  It was relaxing and fun. Seeing my friends and meeting my friend’s one year old son was such a joy. Little Tokyo always has good memories for me.  Whether you go to Wurstkuchefor creative sausages, including vegetarian ones, or to Pink Berry for froyo (nobody says “frozen yogurt”), you’re bound to have a good time and probably run into someone you know from USC. Last time we went to Wurstkuche, I ran into my PhD mentor who I had just seen a few hours earlier in the lab!

Of course, you can’t talk about Little Tokyo and not mention Daikokuya – the original and arguably, the best place for Japanese Ramen in Los Angeles.  It’s a small place, but it’s always packed. Each of these restaurants usually has a line, and the wait can range from 10 minutes to an hour. At Sushi Gen, we had to wait over an hour for a table, but it wasn’t bad, because we were all chatting in its private parking lot, catching up on work life and gossip.

Published on December 11th, 2015