PhD – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Admitted students receive information on the funding offer before they have to submit the Statement of Intent.
Follow the Application Fee Waiver Instructions for Information on how to do this with one application fee.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications submitted for multiple Viterbi School programs without a valid waiver will be charged for each additional program and no refunds will be given.
2) A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
3) Successfully completion the department screening procedure. This usually consists of a written and an oral examination administered by the faculty.
4) Successful passing of the Qualifying Examination, which is intended to determine the extent of the student’s knowledge in basic science and engineering areas, as well as the ability to do original and scholarly research. The qualifying exam committee decides the nature of the qualifying examinations (both oral and written portions) according to the policies applicable in each department.
5) Successful completion of an acceptable dissertation based on original investigation and supervised directly by the dissertation committee. The dissertation must show mastery of a special field, capacity for independent research, and a scholarly result.
6) Successful completion of a Dissertation Defense. This is a general final oral examination devoted to the major field and to the topic of the dissertation. The examination is conducted in such a manner as to determine to the satisfaction of the dissertation committee that the candidate has attained the stage of scholarly advancement and power of investigation demanded by the university for final recommendation to the doctorate.
Note: Individual academic departments may have other requirements.