How to Apply: Doctoral (PhD) Programs
Students who have completed or are in the process of completing a four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent in engineering, math or hard science may be eligible to apply for a Doctoral (PhD) program at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering.
Register for an upcoming webinar to learn more about the doctoral program at USC Viterbi
Doctoral Program Application Deadline
|Fall 2023||December 15*|
|*11:59 PM (23:59), Eastern Time|
Doctoral Program Application Material Requirements
GRE is not required for 2023 applicants
Doctoral Program Application Steps
Start the Application for Graduate Admission ($90 application fee)
TRANSCRIPTS: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs. These instructions apply only to applicants to the master's and Ph.D. programs of the Viterbi School of Engineering
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript-related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
Submit the following materials through the online application system:
- PERSONAL STATEMENT
- LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (3 required) from faculty members with direct knowledge of your research abilities. Recommenders included in the online application will be contacted by email. Your application may be submitted before letters of recommendation are received. The recommender module is separate.
- GRE is not required for 2023 applicants
International Students should also submit the following:
- A Photocopy of the first two pages of your passport
- A report of your scores on the TOEFL/IELTS sent electronically by the testing agency to USC. Please review USC's English Proficiency Criteria
- Applicants that have earned a previous degree at USC are exempt from the English Proficiency Requirement and do not need to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores
- Required official copies of materials from non-U.S. schools vary from country to country. Please see Admission Requirement by Country.
Please complete the Contact Us form.
USC Graduate Application Videos
Navigating the USC Graduate Application
Entering your Academic history
Entering your GPA
Entering your standardized test scores
Published on July 18th, 2017
Last updated on July 11th, 2022