How to Apply: Doctoral (PhD) Programs
Students who have completed or are in the process of completing a four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent in engineering, math or hard science may be eligible to apply for a Doctoral (PhD) program at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering.
Register for an upcoming webinar to learn more about the doctoral program at USC Viterbi
Doctoral Program Application Deadline
|Fall 2020||December 15*|
|*11:59 PM (23:59), Eastern Time|
Doctoral Program Application Material Requirements
* A USC MS satisfies the PhD English language requirements. Anyone applying for a PhD with a USC MS does not need to take a TOEFL or IELTS
Doctoral Program Application Steps
Start the Application for Graduate Admission ($90 application fee)
TRANSCRIPTS: Upload Electronic Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. A mailed hard copy or official e-transcript is not required for admission to our programs. These instructions apply only to applicants to the master's and Ph.D. programs of the Viterbi School of Engineering
- Submit an electronic copy of official transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents)
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is also uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
Submit official GRE General Test scores directly from ETS. The USC ETS code is 4852 (no department code needed).
Submit the following materials through the online application system:
- PERSONAL STATEMENT
- LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (3 required) from faculty members with direct knowledge of your research abilities. Recommenders included in the online application will be contacted by email. Your application may be submitted before letters of recommendations are received. The recommender module is separate.
International Students should also submit the following:
- A Photocopy of the first two pages of your passport
- A report of your scores on the TOEFL or IELTS sent by ETS to USC. Please review USC's English Proficiency Criteria
- Required official copies of materials from non-U.S. schools vary from country to country. Please see Admission Requirement by Country.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org