Guidelines for submitting the master's application
- Complete and submit the USC Graduate Admission Application ($90 application fee)
- Upload registrar-issued transcripts (electronic or scanned) from all colleges and universities attended. A registrar-issued transcript does not need to be mailed or emailed to the USC Graduate Admission Office as part of the application process. IMPORTANT: These instructions apply only for applicants to Viterbi School of Engineering Master's and PhD programs.
- Submit an electronic/scanned copy of registrar-issued transcripts (.pdf recommended) and other degree related documents through the online graduate application (International applicants, visit USC Graduate Admission’s Country Requirements page for details on required documents). Master's applicants are not required to submit hard copies of transcripts at the time of application – only electronic copies are required. This is a Viterbi School exemption only.
- Transcripts should be on university letterhead
- Unofficial transcripts from university student portals are not acceptable
- Transcripts marked unofficial are not acceptable
- If the transcript includes a separate grading scale, make sure it is uploaded
- For upload purposes, all transcript related documents for a single school must be submitted as one document
- If you are admitted, you will be given specific instructions on submitting your hard copy transcripts
- Input Self-Reported Test Scores
- We ask that all applicants include self-reported test scores (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) in the online graduate application (IMPORTANT: Official test scores are required to also be submitted electronically to USC by the testing agency. GRE scores are not required for Master's applicants for Spring and Fall 2024)
- Application Tip: Initial test scores (and additional test scores) may be added after the application has been submitted. Do not hold off on submitting the application because you are waiting for test scores.
- CV/Résumé, Personal Statement, Letters of Recommendation
- Instructions for the submission of these materials can be found in the online graduate application
- Note: Go to our Program pages to check the application requirements to see which materials are required for admission to the program in which you are interested.
- Application Tip: Letters of Recommendation may be sent in by recommenders after the application has been submitted. Do not wait for letters to be received before submitting the application.
- USC ID Number
- After you submit the USC Graduate Admission application you will receive a USC ID by email typically within 2-3 days of submitting the online application. You will need to include this USC ID with all submitted materials by mail and with all correspondence with USC. It is important to note that your USC ID is different from the CAS ID you will receive when you begin your application. The CAS ID is only required for technical support during the application process and is not issued by the university.
- Scholarship Consideration
- If your application and other required materials are received by the application deadline, you will be considered for Viterbi merit-based scholarships. (NOTE: If selected as a finalist, you may be requested to submit additional information.)
- Prospective applicants who apply by published 2024 deadlines will be considered for scholarships if admitted.
- Online DEN@Viterbi applicants can view the Master's Scholarships (DEN@Viterbi) page for scholarship opportunities.
- Applying for Multiple Programs
- Instructions can be found on our FAQ section
- Submit Official TOEFL/IELTS Test Scores. Full information on USC’s English proficiency requirement and test score submission instructions can be found on the USC Graduate Admission English Proficiency page.
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores must be sent electronically to USC by the testing service (ETS or IELTS).
- Valid TOEFL/IELTS scores must be dated within two years of the start of the intended application semester. (This is August for the fall semester and January for the spring semester.)
- IMPORTANT: Only scores received electronically from the testing service are considered official. USC does not accept self-reported test scores or paper scores sent via postal mail for final admit decision purposes. At-home TOEFL/IELTS exam scores will be accepted.
- NOTE: USC does not accept the ETS iBT Best Score.
- Submit Proof of Financial Support documentation and passport copy
- For information on what constitutes acceptable Proof of Financial Support and find the appropriate program costs, go to the USC Graduate Admission Financial Documentation page
- Application Tip: To avoid unnecessary I-20/DS-2019 processing delays, we recommend submitting the financial documentation and copy of the first two pages of the passport either as part of online graduate application or at least before an admission decision is received. However, because these documents are not required for an application review, they can be submitted after an admission decision has been received.
Tips for Master's Applicants on Completing the Online Application
For questions on application requirements or additional assistance completing your application you may contact the Viterbi Graduate Admission Office by completing the Contact Form. If you need technical support with your application, click on the Contact Us link in the lower left of the online graduate application.
Published on June 27th, 2017
Last updated on September 5th, 2023