U.S. Active Duty Military & Veterans
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering’s DEN@Viterbi online delivery method provides the opportunity for active duty military personnel and veterans to complete an online Master’s degree or graduate certificate program from any location in the world. Over 40 master’s degrees and graduate certificates are available completely online in a variety of engineering disciplines.
Top Ranked Online Graduate Engineering Program for Veterans
U.S. News and World Report, 2018
Unlimited Yellow Ribbon Awards
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering offers an unlimited number of Yellow Ribbon awards to eligible candidates (max. of $10,000/year) which can provide funding for the majority of your graduate program.Learn More
USC is committed to the 8 keys in supporting veterans as they pursue their education and employment goals:
The 8 Keys
1. Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
2. Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
3. Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
4. Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
5. Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
6. Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
7. Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
8. Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.
USC Veterans Certification Office
The USC Veterans Certification Office certifies enrollment for USC students who apply and are eligible for educational assistance administered by the Veterans Administration. The office also processes all applications and forwards enrollment certifications to regional offices of the Veterans Administration, provides assistance to students with problems that relate to the Veterans Administration educational (or covered) programs, and maintains a reference file on all VA students for up to 3 years.
Please contact the USC Veterans Certification Office at (213) 740-4619; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit the USC Veterans Certification page for more information.
USC supports students through a variety of military and veteran funding options. USC participates in the following programs to provide assistance to active duty military, veterans, and military dependents. Eligible USC students may claim the following programs.
USC Supports the following Military/Veteran Programs
CHAPTER 30: Montgomery G.I. Bill for Active Duty
CHAPTER 31: Voc Rehab
CHAPTER 32: VEAP (Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program)
CHAPTER 33: Post-9/11 G.I. Bill
– Yellow Ribbon Program
CHAPTER 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program
CHAPTER 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill for Selected Reserve
CHAPTER 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Yellow Ribbon Awards
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering offers an unlimited number of Yellow Ribbon awards to eligible candidates (max. of $10,000/year) which can provide funding for the majority of your graduate program.
What is the selection process for the Yellow Ribbon Program at USC?
– You must be admitted to the University of Southern California and registered in classes.
– You must submit all documents required by the USC Office of Veterans Affairs.
For required documents: Yellow Ribbon Requirements
To help calculate your estimated tuition costs, please use the US Department of Veteran’s Affairs GI Bill Comparison Tool. Please be sure to indicate “University of Southern California” in the school information section.
For information on the current costs for USC Viterbi Master’s students (residential and DEN@Viterbi) see our Tuition and Fees page.
Military and veteran students are eligible to receive scholarships and financial aid in addition to funding received from a military/veteran program. Active military, veteran, and ROTC students can be considered for both:
– Federal Need-Based Aid: Includes Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Perkins Loans, and Pell Grants
– University Aid: Includes USC’s merit scholarships, the University Grant, and graduate assistantships and fellowships
Please see the Graduate Funding page for information on scholarships and financial aid.
Application Fee Waiver
U.S. active duty military personnel and veterans who wish to apply for formal admission are eligible to receive an application fee waiver.
Eligibility Requirements: You must be an active duty military personnel or veteran. Acceptable documentation include:
1) A copy of your active duty orders if you are currently serving.
2) A copy of your DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty if you are a veteran.This option is not available to dependents of military personnel or veterans.
Please see the USC Graduate Application Fee Waivers page for more details.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to Get Started
Find out the steps to explore our programs, learn about our enrollment options, how to apply and more.