Beach House Weekend

Posted: January 27, 2016, 11:02pm

For my cousin’s birthday, I flew up to Northern California and spent one of the most amazing weekends with her and friends at a beach house in Aptos, CA. Located right next to Santa Cruz by the water, the house was cozy, yet large enough to fit and sleep 7. Because we arrived Friday night, we weren’t really able to see the view right away. Right when I woke up, however, I was greeted with the incredible sight of the California coast. We were unbelievably close – we could touch the water in fewer than a hundred steps! Throughout the day, we snacked while reading, talking, and playing games. Although it was a bit chilly outside at first, it warmed up quite a bit once the sun burned off the fog. I couldn’t have asked for a better way to relax after the first two weeks of school.

We were able to try some of the local restaurants, including a lovely bakery, but for the other meals, we all cooked for each other. The butcher that we went to had a whole fresh rabbit, so my cousin made some stew and her delicious mussels for dinner on Saturday night. For brunch the next morning, we whipped up a bunch of pancakes, as well as scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast with jam – the most classic American breakfast you can get! In between, we tried to get a fire roaring in the pit outside, but that slightly fell through. I had made a few fires with friends while camping in Yosemite over the summer, but we had plenty of tinder to get us started. Out in Aptos, on the other hand, we had only wet driftwood and soggy twigs. At least we still had a warm little cottage to duck back into! Can’t wait for the next time I get to go back up to visit!