Bookaholic catching up!

Posted: February 8, 2017, 3:04pm

I’ve been collecting and reading books ever since I was a little girl (around 4-5 years old) and the first time I picked a comic up it absolutely fascinated me; the story, the characters, the takeaways from each book captivated my imagination. Like many of you out there, my first full-fledged novel happened to be by Enid Blyton – you know the usual Famous five, Secret Seven. Malory Towers, etc.

I began exploring more genres and my grandma, the amazing woman that she is, recommended writings and books of Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Margaret Mitchell, Charles Dickens and many more classics that I could read. Don’t get me wrong, she also introduced me to lighter ones including Roald Dahl and ofcourse, Mathilda and Charlie (the two iconic characters) are stuck with me even today.

I eventually grew up, left home for Graduate school at USC and as a student I had to count every penny in LA. Books were even more expensive than in India (my hometown) but this was when I discovered the Last Bookstore in Downtown, LA (do VISIT!!) and subscription boxes! Among the subscription boxes, “Book of the Month” stood out the most with its monthly specialized selections that you could pick. Owlcrate is something I dream for and am saving up for (Includes merchandise and theme related items including a book) for the particular month. You could always look up and see Book of the Month coupons online which give you your first month at 5$ and a referral to a friend earns you a free book. It’s amazing how many I’ve stacked up in my room already. You would not believe this but I recently got my hands on the first edition of Love in the Time of Cholera (<3).

Books are definitely my safety blanket when I’m away from home. They remind me of my childhood, my grandma, my room and my sister whom I share all my books (also who is crazy about books like I am!) It really is a great feeling when I flip through now. Okay now ciao , back to reading!