Taking on the #KtownSpicyChallenge

July 27, 2017

Posted: July 7, 2016, 1:50pm

Although I am a HUGE fan of spicy food, I don’t think I was prepared for this. On a random weeknight, two friends from my lab, Nathan and Yuta, took me to Yup Dduk, a restaurant in Koreatown that is part of a popular Korean chain that is known for making ddukbokki.Ddukbokki, also spelled as tteokbokki, is a common Korean dish and street-food that is primarily made of cylindrical rice cakes, fish cake, and a sweed red chili sauce called gochujang. Yup Dduk has recently gained a lot of attention by starting the #KtownSpicyChallenge because of their insanely hot menu and gigantic bowls of ddukbokki.

We ordered their ‘original’ level of spice, out of ‘mild’, ‘original’, and ‘challenge’, and it was pretty intense. Even writing about it now is making my face heat up. Every bite made me reach for my water, but this dish was ridiculously addicting. If you check in at the restaurant on Yelp, they’ll give you a free mini bottle of yogurt to help with the burn. I don’t think I could have made it through without it! My favorite parts of the dish were the fish cake slices and the melted mozzarella cheese generously spread out on the top. If you love spicy food and are up for a delicious challenge, definitely check this place out!

Published on July 27th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017