Joseph S. Greenfield
Associate Professor of Information Technology Practice
- 2019, Doctoral Degree, Computer Science, University of Rhode Island
- 2006, Master's Degree, Computer Science, University of Southern California
- 2005, Bachelor's Degree, Computer Engineering, University of Southern California
Joseph Greenfield is an Associate Professor of Information Technology Practice with domain expertise in both Computer Security and Digital Forensics. In 2006 he joined the Viterbi School's Information Technology Program as a lecturer. While teaching at USC, he has developed ten courses in the fields of information security and digital forensics in addition to building two academic minors: Applied Computer Security and Digital Forensics. He also co-authored the indisciplinary degree in Intelligence and Cyber Operations.
His professional and academic research lie in the realm of BitTorrent forensics, specialized server acquisitions, non-standard information storage containers and parallel processing of digital forensic artifacts during bitstream imaging. His efforts were instrumental in establishing an academic alliance with the United States Secret Service and the Los Angeles Electronic Crimes Task Force. His students have graduated and pursued careers in law enforcement and private consulting companies.
He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering and a Masters Degree in Computer Science from the University of Southern California. He completed his Ph. D. in Computer Science at the University of Rhode Island, where his research focused on parallel processing of digital forensic artifacts during bitstream imaging. He is a frequent presenter to the Los Angeles Electronic Crimes Task Force, the Information Systems Security Association and other industry groups.
In addition to being a full-time faculty member at USC, he works professionally with the Los Angeles computer forensics firm Maryman & Associates.
- 2021 Viterbi School of Engineering Dean's Award for Innovation in Teaching and Education
- 2009 United States Secret Service Certificate of Appreciation
- 2008 Information Technology Program Outstanding Contributions
- OHE 412
- Olin Hall of Engineering
- 3650 McClintock Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90089
- USC Mail Code: 1456
- (213) 740-4542