My Start in VGSA

September 19, 2015

Last Sunday, I was fortunate enough to attend my first Viterbi Graduate Student Association council meeting as the newly elected Biomedical Engineering Senator.  Having just started graduate school, I did not know too much about the overarching government organizations; however, I took a leap anyways and ran for this position, which opens up every semester.  The number of senators for each department depends on the size of its associated student population.  For CS, there are 5, while AME has 2 and BME has only 1.

It was incredible meeting everyone at the meeting over the weekend.  Although most are master’s students that only have a few more semesters to go, I am still glad to be meeting peers from other majors and learning about their course-loads and activities.

As the lead government organization in Viterbi, we represent the large and diverse population within USC and work to address the needs and concerns of graduate engineering students.  By planning corporate, academic, cultural and social events, we strive to enhance the overall experience of being a master’s or doctoral candidate at Viterbi.  For the BME department, I have started organizing a tailgate for the Utah game and a networking event with industry representatives that I have kept in touch with during my time as an undergraduate.

Our next big event is the Viterbi Alumni & Student Mixer on September 26th, 2015.  Hopefully a lot of people take advantage of this opportunity to network and get advice from the older (and wiser!) Trojans

Published on September 19th, 2015