There are tons of great movies in theatres or on Netflix. There are amazing restaurants and there are good people who surround us and make life a little bit easier. But if there are times you just want to curl up on the sofa with a good book and some hot chocolate, here are a few books I think would be interesting and fun to read over the break:
- The Martian by Andy Weir – If you loved the movie as much as I did, what better way to obsess over it than to read the original book?
- The Gift of the Magi by O’Henry – Technically, it’s a short story, but it’s a wonderful story about the holidays so why not?
- Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari – If you like his humor or his acting in “Parks and Recreation,” this will be a fun book. Using both comedy and fact, it should be enlightening and entertaining.
- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emma Orczy – If you want to travel back in time, and/or love the Count of Monte Cristo, then check out this little known jewel. I loved it – it’s fast-paced (even for the 19th century) and witty.
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe – A little international flair for this list, this novel about an African village doesn’t follow the normal structure of plot. Instead, it meanders through the characters’ lives letting you meet them and form your own judgment—a thought-provoking yet easy read.