Sometimes, you might wonder…am I really an engineer? Is this really what I want to do? While you ponder these serious questions, here are a few light-hearted answers.
5 “Facts” About Engineers
You’re an engineer if…
- You answer yes to the question, “do you happen to have a flash drive/USB stick on you?” Engineers are notorious for carrying these around in daily life. Even in the age of the cloud, we still need back-up.
- You calculate the most efficient walking/biking pattern for getting to and from campus. That weird girl you see walking in diagonals down the street on-campus? Probably me.
- Peoples’ eyes glaze over or they stare in awe when you tell them your major or what you do.
- You’re asked to calculate the tip whenever you go out with your friends – because, duh, if you can handle calculus, how hard is a little arithmetic? Answer: harder than you’d like to admit
- You instinctively wish for paper and a pen or a whiteboard when someone asks a question that needs a detailed explanation, or even better, a diagram.
5 Myths About Engineers
If you’re curious about 5 major myths about engineers, check out my more in-depth article HERE.
Published on January 25th, 2016
Last updated on August 16th, 2018