Are You an Engineer?

January 25, 2016

Sometimes, you might wonder…am I really an engineer? Is this really what I want to do? While you ponder these serious questions, here are a few light-hearted answers.

5 “Facts” About Engineers

You’re an engineer if…

1. You answer yes to the question, “do you happen to have a flash drive/USB stick on you?” Engineers are notorious for carrying these around in daily life. Even in the age of the cloud, we still need back-up.
  2. You calculate the most efficient walking/biking pattern for getting to and from campus. That weird girl you see walking in diagonals down the street on-campus? Probably me.
  3. Peoples’ eyes glaze over or they stare in awe when you tell them your major or what you do.
  4. You’re asked to calculate the tip whenever you go out with your friends – because, duh, if you can handle calculus, how hard is a little arithmetic? Answer: harder than you’d like to admit
  5. You instinctively wish for paper and a pen or a whiteboard when someone asks a question that needs a detailed explanation, or even better, a diagram.

5 Myths About Engineers

If you’re curious about 5 major myths about engineers, check out my more in-depth article HERE.

Published on January 25th, 2016

Last updated on August 16th, 2018