Hermosa Beach

January 22, 2016

I visited one of the lesser frequented beaches in the Los Angeles area last week – Hermosa Beach. Many of the beaches further north like Santa Monica, Malibu, and Venice are well-known, but they also tend to be crowded. Beaches like Huntington, Redondo, and Hermosa are beautiful too but quiet. Hermosa Beach is also known for great seafood options.

However, when we went, my friends and I just enjoyed walking along the beach, picking up seashells, and filling our lungs with the fresh sea breeze rather than the usual smog of LA. We passed a family playing on one of the many sand volleyball courts. We also saw a horde of seagulls perched quietly on the sand, and the Hermosa beachfront was dotted with quaint, beautiful beach properties whose price tag I don’t even want to think about.

Then, we walked onto the pier where people had their fishing rods reaching into the water, waiting for a bite from an unsuspecting fish. Unlike the stars on the sidewalk in Hollywood, surfers were the stars on the Hermosa Beach pier. The Surfers Walk of Fame plaques dotted the ground on the edges of the pier.

It was a refreshing afternoon, and a great way to prepare for what I’m sure will be a grueling semester ahead!

Published on January 22nd, 2016