5 Cool Things on #InternationalWomensDay

March 9, 2016

In honor of International Women’s Day (March 8th), below are some quotations from women who I respect and admire, among many other women not listed.

• I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.~ Maya Angelou
  • Corruption cannot be removed without reducing the gap between the governing and the governed. ~ Kiran Bedi
  • The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. ~ Coco Chanel
  • The most effective way to do it, is to do it  ~ Amelia Earhart
  • When asked by a woman, “I’m 29 and single. Should I be worried?” her response was “About ISIS. Yeah. Not about that” ~ Tina Fey
  • I never think of myself as an icon…I just do my thing. ~ Audrey Hepburn

I’m proud to be at a university such as USC, where as of last year, 38% of engineers were women, more than double the national average.

Here are 5 cool articles related to today:

1. This year was the first annual International Day of Women in Science!
  2. The pioneering work of these women influenced the movie, The Matrix, the TV show Doctor Who, and launched the genre of science fiction with the book Frankenstein –
  3. A great ad for a game I wish had existed when I was growing up –GoldieBlox
  4. Did you know that the largest Viterbi engineering organization on campus is the Society of Women Engineers, the collegiate chapter of an international organization?  Or that we have members actively involved in a nationwide strategic, non-profit – NCWIT– committed to increasing the number women in computer science and engineering?
  5. Four NASA female astronauts ready for Mars– sharing this post because an awesome friend of mine who currently works at NASA made it her Facebook status update.

Take the free, international pledge (I did!) or learn more about how to speed up the closure of the gender gap which is predicted to last until 2133

Published on March 9th, 2016

Last updated on January 20th, 2021