The LA Times Festival of Books

Every April, the LA Times hosts the Festival of Books on USC’s campus to celebrate and promote reading, authors, and fiction galore! It’s a two-day, free weekend event open to the public that takes over the campus. With rows upon rows of independent bookstores showcasing their books, from antiques to science fiction to classics, you can never see it all. In addition, there are multiple stages where authors, journalists, poets, and others present, perform, or share their work and ideas. As an undergrad at SC, I got to see one of my all-time favorite actresses, Julie Andrews!

This year featured prominent guests like Stan Lee autographing his latest book and Buzz Aldrin presenting his thoughts on the main stage. In addition, I got tickets to see Carrie Brownstein, a pioneering musician and actress/producer of the satirical TV show based on my hometown,Portlandia. I also was lucky enough to get tickets for Arianna Huffington, CEO of the Huffington group and one of the most influential women in business today. Of all the topics to choose, she chose to talk about sleep, the topic of her latest book. Huffington highlights its importance and the national epidemic of chronic sleep-deprived zombies. Good topic for a college campus right?

The Festival of Books is one of my favorite events at USC for the caliber of guests who attend and the open-air enjoyment of getting caught up in stories like we did as kids.

Published on May 2nd, 2016

Last updated on August 29th, 2017