Motown Concert and Dr. Um

December 15, 2016

I’m looking forward to going home for the holidays. The last time I was home was in the summer and I had attended this amazing outdoor concert by a legendary Motown band, The Temptations. It’s one of the oldest bands – it’s been together for more than 50 years. The last surviving original member, Otis Williams, was in the line-up when I went (purple in photo)! Their most famous song and my favorite is My Girl. I also really like Cloud Nine.

Watching the smooth, simple choreography and listening to the sweet tunes hearkened back to a different time in music when the performance was important but the music was supreme, unlike today. Their bright, elaborate suits helped project that image, though Williams confessed that the suits were really suffocating in the summer heat. Their latest album, Still Here, was released in 2010. The band played a couple songs from their newer 90s and 2000s albums and then went back to the old but gold classics. They were entertaining, interacted well with the audience, and gave an energetic and beautiful performance.

The ambiance was laid back which matched the music. However, a spontaneous dance floor erupted near the stage. I initially felt out of place when I saw a lot of the concert-goers were older generations. I saw enough people grooving who were my age to realize that this band truly does span generations.

Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)

USC actually has an amazing music program and Peter Erskine, one of the percussion professors in the Thornton School of Music is actually a renowned, contemporary jazz drummer. He often plays big band music from the 60’s, the same generation as The Temptations in their prime.

My Girl – live, in concert by The Temptations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB3NfOtPD3M

He has an upcoming performance this Friday and Saturday with his band, Dr. Um, at bluewhale jazz club in downtown LA. The jazz club is one of the best and caters to jazz lovers and experts. I’m still very much an amateur wannabe but I did take beginner drumming classes from Prof. Erskine during my undergrad days so I’m excited to see him perform this weekend!

Published on December 15th, 2016