Zinc Cafe & Market

December 14, 2016

I didn’t realize I had been to so many brunch places this semester but I have no regrets. It’s a great meal. Places like Zinc, with their outdoor patio seating, roomy indoors, and food market filled with snacks, artisan foods, and other eclectic gastric delights, only prove that.

Zinc has a great menu for lunch, not just brunch, and it has an adjacent bar that is sure to get busy at night. It’s located in the hipster Arts District, near industrial buildings, studio sets for films, and yoga studios. Its neighbor matches Zinc’s hipster quality – the Blue Bottle Coffee Shop is meant for coffee aficionados. Zinc welcomes USC students because the managers of the restaurant are actually big USC fans. Unfortunately, this doesn’t translate into a discount, just even better service than their usual.

The wait time here on a Saturday around 1:30pm was about 20 minutes. My friend and I made the mistake of walking around to explore the area nearby while we waited. We got distracted inside this random art studio with local artwork, including terrariums and glass sculptures. We returned too late for breakfast food, which is only available until 2pm. Nonetheless, the lunch was great (I got an asparagus sandwich) and we saw indie and commercial film shootings in progress during our exploration, so again, no regrets.

P.S. I have not failed to mention Jacks n Joe, the famous and yummy Trojan brunch spot walking distance from campus. I just assumed you have already been there or know about it. If you don’t, well, what are you waiting for?

Published on December 14th, 2016

Last updated on August 29th, 2017