Asian Pacific Grad 2017

May 12, 2017

This week is Commencement, and I am graduating! One of the many celebrations held at USC for grads is the Asian Pacific graduation party for all students of Asian or Pacific Islander ethnicity. It started with a culture show of various student performances including a breathtaking Taiko drum performance (see picture above). Then, each graduating student got to walk on stage in their gown, sash (and hood if they were a Master’s student). There were places to take pictures and I got a couple with my parents. In addition, they had free food and refreshments available. Although it is mostly meant for undergraduates, if you’ve been involved in organizations on campus or even if you haven’t and you want to be part of the festivities, you can still go.

My favorite part was standing on the steps of the RTCC ballroom and taking a picture with all the other graduates. It reminded me that my accomplishment is part of something bigger, of all of us going out there into the world to make a difference.  My second favorite part of the evening was definitely the Taiko drums – they gave me chills from the bottom of my soles to my spine. The artistry in how they moved their hands while maintaining the rhythm was a sight to see. It’s so exciting to think about all the student clubs we can be involved in at USC. It made me regret that I couldn’t have joined their club!

Lastly, I wasn’t even aware that there was a Young Asian Pacific Alumni Association from USC. I learned about it at this event and signed up so that I know about the events and opportunities they may have for alumni like me going forward. Overall, the event was a moment to celebrate all that we’ve accomplished as graduates and to be there with friends and family.

Published on May 12th, 2017