My 5-Year High School Reunion

July 27, 2017

Posted: July 6, 2016

A few weekends ago, I flew back to Boston for my 5-year high school reunion at Milton Academy! Although I grew up here in Southern California, I decided to go to boarding school on the East Coast when I was 14 because three of my older cousins received great educations there. The best way I can describe this experience to other people is by telling them that it was basically like going to college, but just four years earlier. Milton taught grades K to 12, but only the high school was open to boarders (students that lived on campus). There were about 680 students in all, and 8 dorms of 40 kids each. Each of the dorms for girls was matched with one with guys, and we had very intense rivalries with other dorms and groups at school.

Throughout my four years, I lived in Robbins House, which is located right across the quad from the main student center. During reunion, I stayed with one of my “sisters” from Robbins and we spent a lot of time looking at our old home. We were lucky to have lived in a few of the lofts, rooms that had two floors connected by a small ladder/stairway, which is unique to our dorm. I really miss the teaching style they had at Milton – each class was no larger than 12 students, and we all sat around huge wooden Harkness tables to have open discussions. Although it will be awhile until our next reunion, I hope to visit again soon to stay in touch with the teachers who have helped me discover my passions that I am still pursuing today!

Published on July 27th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017