A Weekend for the Books!

Posted: August 22, 2016, 3:43pm

For the Coldplay concert this weekend, my good friend Julie flew in from Austin to spend Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday with me. She’s also a PhD student in biomedical engineering, but she’s focusing on neural engineering in a lab at UT. The first thing we did after I picked her up from the airport at 8:30am was to get some good breakfast. Of course, we ended up with Roscoe’s!! Afterwards, we went back to my apartment to clean up and settle in. I went to school for a little to catch up with some projects in lab and went back to go grab some desserts from Bottega Louie with Julie. We picked up my cousin Jessica from LAX shortly after and went to dinner with my brother at Eat Drink Americano in the Arts District.

The next morning, we went on a hike to the Eaton Canyon Falls above Pasadena. Jessica got me a pair of Vibrams and I was able to try them out and break them in on this four-mile trail. They’re surprisingly comfortable and easy to walk in. After getting used to having fabric between my toes, I felt more agile and lighter on my feet. It was definitely easier to navigate through rocks and boulders without having to balance on curved surfaces with a flat sole. Plus, I didn’t have to worry about the water crossings since they’re waterproof and machine washable! For lunch, we ate at Savoy Kitchen and rested for a little at home before heading to the Coldplay concert at the Rose Bowl. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect weekend. Next time, we plan on hitting up Disneyland and the Getty Villa!