AIS Garba Night!

Posted: October 27, 2016

Earlier in October, I was invited by the President of the Association of Indian Students (AIS), Anureet Bahia (another Viterbi Pulse blogger!), to attend one of their biggest events of the semester, Garba Night! All of the Executive Board members of VGSA got VIP access and had an incredible time dancing with everyone. I borrowed a dress from one of my friends and tried to learn as much as I could about the garba and dandiya raas dance forms before heading over to the TCC Ballroom. Our Vice President of Finance, Ranveer Ghatge, is an incredible dancer, so he acted as my guide throughout the whole night.

Hundreds of students attended in their traditional attire and began dancing to a live band after a group performed aarti, a Hindu ritual of worship and prayer. It took a while for me to get used to the circular line-dancing-esque style, but it was a lot of fun meeting and dancing with so many other people. After a few hours of spinning and twirling, we concluded the night with a full meal with real Indian food (including Indian-style Chinese fried rice!). If you’re looking to be completely immersed in another culture, I encourage you to check out the Diwali event AIS is hosting this Sunday! They will be celebrating the festival of lights, so head to Bovard at 6:30pm to enjoy a night full of dance, drama, music, and delicious food!!