Ali Wong Live!

Posted: January 23, 2017, 5:02pm

If you haven’t seen Ali Wong’s Netflix Comedy Special Baby Cobra, stop what you’re doing and watch it right now. After my friend recommended this stand-up to me last summer, I became a huge fan of Ali because her jokes are so relatable. There aren’t too many female comedians out there, and there certainly aren’t that many Asian-American women in this field, so it was refreshing seeing her crush it on the screen. I talked about Baby Cobra so much that my parents and my brother all saw it within a week. My brother was actually the one who found out about her performing in LA, and we obviously got tickets right away. Her special on Netflix definitely shot her into the big stage and she sold out her initial two shows almost immediately. She added two more, and sold them out. Added two more, and sold them out too! We’re lucky we were able to buy them at face value!

The show was at the Ace Hotel Theatre in downtown LA, so we walked there after a quick dinner since it was only a few blocks away from my apartment. The crowd was largely Asian-American, but there were a lot of attendees from other backgrounds as well.  We learned that this was part of a larger series, called the Riot LA Comedy Festival, which lasted the entire weekend and featured other popular performers, such as Bob Saget, Adam Devine, and Mel Brook. She had an opener that was extremely hilarious, but I forgot his name and I can’t seem to find that information anywhere. He got the crowd warmed up and excited for Ali, who was simply incredible. I enjoyed seeing her live a lot more and was basically laughing for the entire hour she was working the stage. It makes me sad that I can’t watch it over and over like I can with Baby Cobra. Maybe she’ll release this set as another special – fingers crossed! If you like comedy, definitely check her out!!