BMES Annual Meeting 2016

Posted: October 27, 2016

I presented for the first time at a national conference this month!! For the first weekend of October, all of 6 the returning PhD students in the McCain and Shen labs flew to Minneapolis, Minnesota for the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Annual Meeting. 4 of us presented posters and 2 gave presentations in specific tracks related to their research, like cancer biology and cardiac tissue engineering. I spoke to many professors and other students during my session on Friday. A few gave me some suggestions for overcoming some of the problems and bottlenecks I have been encountering lately, and we’ve been taking advantage of them in our experiments since I’ve been back.

We also met a few of our professor’s peers from her old lab at Harvard. In the research field, they are our academic “uncles” and “aunts”. Some of their students were working on projects utilizing similar methodologies and protocols, so we met up a few times over the course of the conference to share our ideas and tips. I also got to meet up with students from other schools, like Johns Hopkins and UCLA, who I got to know the past two conferences (this is my third BMES Annual Meeting in a row!). It’s nice to know that this entire community gets together again and again – I can’t wait to build up my network and see all of them every year. Hopefully by next fall, I will have enough results to give my own talk!