BMES Conference in Tampa

July 27, 2017

Posted: October 15, 2015, 11:00am

For the past two days, I was fortunate enough to attend the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Annual Meeting in Tampa, Florida! This is my second time coming to this conference (my first time was last year in San Antonio, Texas), and it has been such an incredible learning experience.

Other members of the executive board of the Associated Students of Biomedical Engineering (ASBME), the only undergraduate BME organization at USC, came with me to hear from leaders in stem cell, tissue regeneration, drug delivery, cancer therapy, and biomechanics research. In addition, five other members from my lab, the Laboratory for Living Systems Engineering run by Dr. Megan McCain, attended to present posters. It was so fun going to talks with everyone and gaining more insight into recent innovations and new techniques.

One of the primary speakers of this trip was Kevin Carroll, an accomplished prosthetist who is the inspiration behind the film ‘Dolphin Tale’ featuring Morgan Freeman. Although he is most famous for making a tail for a dolphin that had lost its own in an accident, Carroll has also developed a patented socket lining system for patients that use prosthetics and started a boot-camp for bilateral amputees. It was fascinating hearing about his innovations and impact on individuals who have lost limbs.

Not only has this conference exposed me to cutting-edge research, but it has also inspired me to tackle my own doctoral project with even more enthusiasm. I cannot wait to come back to the BMES annual meeting in the future and present my own work!

Published on July 27th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017