Chicano Art – A revelation

July 26, 2017

Posted: September 19, 2016, 9:54pm

I know I’m a tad bit late to talk about the Labor Day weekend but I discovered something pretty amazing during that weekend! I decided to set off to San Diego by taking the Amtrack Pacific SurfLiner and it was the first best decision that I took! The train traces the Pacific coastline and boy, the view is breathtaking, I was awed by the beauty of the ocean and beaches that I witnessed. I got off and while waiting decided to explore a bit.

I found that The Museum of Contemporary art was 2 min away and well it was so intriguing so I entered to discover Chicano Art , I knew that browsing the gallery would make my trip. Free for anyone under 25, the museum is any art lover’s dream. Chicano Art depicts the attempts of Mexican-Americans to showcase the struggles (social, economic,etc) through art. I wasn’t allowed to photograph the paintings but that day I lapped up so many stories, one being La Llorona’s (“The Weeping Woman”) whose story was told in a series of 4-5 paintings.

Other than paintings, there were creations of art that had been put on display. Each element contributing so much significance as the simple Ruben Ochoa that provides such deep insight.

They change the theme every 4 months and the next change is in November so if you’re in San Diego, don’t miss this!

Published on July 26th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017