Lab Dinner

Posted: January 27, 2016, 5:02pm

Because of the hectic and busy start to my PhD last semester, I wasn’t able to plan a lot of get-togethers with my friends and my new apartment. Last week, however, I finally got around to it and hosted a house-warming with my labmates! I have bragged about my lab group many times over already, but I’m about to gush about them some more. These other graduate students, who I am lucky enough to see every day, are a few of the most impressive, caring, fun, and interesting people I know. Every single one of us is from a completely different cultural background, so I get to learn so many things every time I hang out with them. Hopefully, I’ll pick up some Japanese, Brazilian, Korean, and Turkish before I graduate!

For this dinner, we all brought or cooked a dish for the table. For appetizers, my friend Yuta and I made a bowl of guacamole and made some Spam chips (my own invention :P) to go along with it. I also made some of my mom’s classic salmon bowtie pasta and Tika brought some couscous to eat with Andrew’s oven-baked chicken and Gio’s homemade Korean barbecue. Everything was delicious and we got to experiment with my bar at the same time. Hosting this dinner immediately got me addicted to planning these events, so I’m having another one with my undergraduate friends this weekend! Time to look for a tasty recipe!