Labor Day Weekend in SF!

Posted: September 16, 2016, 1:35pm

To celebrate the start of football season (the best time of year!), I spent the long weekend up in San Francisco visiting some of my band friends from undergrad. We left downtown LA at 4:30am on Saturday morning to get around the traffic and I switched to the Caltrain at San Jose to complete the trip. I met up with my friend Amy at El Farolito for their Super Burritos and made a quick stop at another friend’s place to see his new Vizsla puppy, Helix! It pained me to buy an OSU chew toy for him, but I convinced myself that it wasn’t betraying my loyalties because Helix will be destroying it in the near future…right? Afterwards, we headed to Mayes Oyster House on Polk Street to watch the USC vs. Alabama game with the San Francisco Alumni Club. The bar was completely packed, and it was incredible meeting USC fans and alumni in another city. The game didn’t turn out the way we wanted it to, but I still had a great time catching up with my friends and munching on wings and oysters.

On Sunday, Amy and I headed up to Napa Valley for some tastings, and we lucked out because our friend Nathaniel’s two siblings both worked in the industry. We started at Castello di Amorosa at the north end for a tour and stopped by both Elizabeth Spencer Winery and Hall Wines for complementary tastings. The entire day was perfect, considering we didn’t plan anything until that morning. After a full day of trying various wines, we had dinner in downtown Napa at The Pear (crab dip and chicken and waffles, yum!) before heading back into the city. For so little planning that weekend, I ended up doing a lot and having so much fun! I haven’t planned my next SF trip yet, but I’m sure I’ll be up there again soon.