My Newfound Love

Posted: October 16, 2016

One thing that calms me down amidst all the deadlines and the feeling of missing home is my guitar. I make sure I dedicate a certain amount of time every day towards playing my guitar. Not only does it calm me down but it also increases my concentration.

It’s been only five months since I started playing the guitar. But, I can truly say I love it and I want to keep learning. The first time I held the guitar, I couldn’t even place my fingers properly on the fretboard. The pain that I experienced in my wrists and fingers while learning to play the guitar was terrible, but I hung in there. The innumerable hours practicing the guitar chords and scales over and over made my fingers develop calluses. However, it was totally worth the pain as it did make me learn to play the guitar smoothly. Now, when I play the songs I love, I can do so effortlessly and it makes me delighted. It does take a while for anyone to be able to play songs, but practice is the key.

Initially, I learned to play the guitar from a teacher since I was home during the summer. Now, I learn through online guitar lessons. The most important thing to learn before you begin playing is to tune the guitar. Also, what I follow while learning new songs is playing them at a slow rate first, because only then will you be able to play the song beautifully. I always practice a few exercises, which I call a warm-up before I actually start playing a piece on the guitar. This helps me play the song smoothly and with ease. I am presently learning how to play the barre chords and oh my, it sure is difficult to learn. However, with time I hope to master the skill of playing the guitar.

I have an Ibanez AEG 10II guitar, which has a rosewood fretboard, a mahogany body, and an onboard tuner. It sounds amazing and I would definitely recommend this guitar to anyone who would like to learn to play and pursue it as a serious hobby.