The Original French Dip @ Philippe’s!

Posted: February 28, 2016, 6:14pm

On President’s Day, a few of my labmates and I decided to go out to lunch at one of Los Angeles’s most iconic restaurants – Philippe The Original. Although I have been here many times before during my undergraduate years, my friends had actually never hard of it before! Philippe’s is one of the historic diners located in downtown (on the edge Chinatown) that claims to be the original inventor of the French Dip sandwich. Founded in 1908, it only accepted cash until very recently, and still has wood-shavings spread out on the floor, which is reminiscent of the old-fashioned, delicatessen-type restaurants. If you want to experience a real blast to the past, definitely visit Philippe’s and browse their array of old candies and traditional setting.

Philippe’s is most well known for their French Dip sandwich. In many restaurants, the French Dip usually comes with a sliced roast beef sandwich with a side of au jus, the juice and drippings from the cooking process. Here at Philippe’s, however, they have an array of meats to choose from – roast beef, roast pork, leg of lamb, turkey, or ham, and they dip the French roll in the jus for you. My go-to is always the lamb sandwich, double dipped. If you are craving a cheap, tasty meal and want to explore one of LA’s classics at the same time, I highly recommend Philippe’s!!