Secular Student Fellowship

July 28, 2017

Posted: September 16, 2016, 4:12pm

On Sunday night, I went to my first Secular Student Fellowship (SSF) dinner! USC has over 80 religious undergraduate and graduate student groups, but only one of them is for nonbelievers and those looking to apply reason and science in bettering themselves. Every Monday night and every other Sunday night, SSF meets at the University Religious Center (URC) to discuss anything from current social issues to personal struggles with religion. Led by USC’s first Humanist Chaplain, Bart Campolo, this group tackles some of life’s ultimate questions using logic and fact instead of supernaturalism.

I found out about SSF through one of my good friends and labmates, Andrew. He was a regular member last year and he always brought back interesting tidbits from the discussions he had with the rest of the group. At this past Sunday night dinner, I met many other students who were trying it out for the first time. Immediately, I felt a sense of camaraderie because we were all there to learn more about the world and connect with one another in a space outside of religion. SSF stands apart from other atheist organizations because it doesn’t purposefully put down religions or other beliefs. Instead, it focuses on building a community of individuals who don’t simply don’t believe in anything. I’m excited to meet more people at future meetings!

#SSF, religion, usc

Published on July 28th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017