Posted: March 8, 2016, 6:12pm

Last Friday, USC hosted Sarah Koenig and Julie Snyder, the creators of Serial(the fastest podcast to reach five million downloads in iTunes history) for one of Visions and Voices’ signature events. For anyone that doesn’t know, Serial is a podcast that covers a single story over 12 episodes. The first season, which focused on the murder of a high school senior in Maryland, captivated audiences worldwide and has been downloaded more than 100 million times. Currently on their second season, Sarah and Julie are tackling a larger case – the story of Bowe Bergdahl, the U.S. soldier who walked off his post in Afghanistan and was held by the Taliban for five years. Ever since my friend recommended Serialto me, I’ve been hooked.

During their live presentation about Serial, Sarah and Julie reflected on their careers while explaining how their project became a cultural phenomenon. They played many pivotal clips of the podcast and described why they used them in specific scenarios and moments. Listening to them was truly incredible. The conversation focused on the ethics of journalism and good reporting – subjects I’ve rarely thought about during my science-heavy studies. Not only did attending this event make me a bigger fan of their podcast, but it also made me interested in this field and podcasts in general. I can’t wait until the next episode comes out!

Published on July 27th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017