The Game of Life

Posted: November 14, 2016, 2:59pm

As I’ve written previously, I spent last week at the amazing facilities of the Moffitt Cancer Center at an academic research workshop. This workshop is incredibly well run. Dozens of cancer researchers from all over the world interested in modeling cancer resistance descended on Tampa Florida for a friendly competition. One of the best parts of the workshop is that I’m pretty sure I met my twin. At least my twin in academics. One of the team members has similar research interests (i.e. building computational models of cancer) but also similar hobby interests too. I’ve written previously about the iOS app I developed here, based on the Game of Life. It turns out that this conference developed an iOS app to be released at the conference (for free!) for the attendees enjoyment. Here’s a screenshot from the app, with the title of the conference in the opening credits of the game: IMO6. (Integrated Math Oncology, conference #6).

The game is also built on the concept of the Game of Life. It’s a cellular automata game, which means that it mimics cell growth on a grid. Cells compete for space on the grid and either give birth to new cells or die off from over-population. The game play is intriguing and exciting and you’ll be instantly hooked. You’ll be supporting scientific progress!

Last updated on January 20th, 2021