Touring Abbott Laboratories

Posted: January 5, 2017, 6:50pm

In the last week of school, the biomedical engineering senator in VGSA and I were able to take a group of graduate students to tour one of Abbott Laboratories’ locations in Temecula, CA. A global healthcare company specializing in nutrition, diagnostics, vascular care, vision, diabetes care, and some pharmaceuticals, Abbott has always had close ties with USC, so we had a great and informative session with two of their outreach staff. This campus was specifically for Abbott Vascular and is the main site for their heart stent manufacturing. Although we weren’t able to enter into their cleanrooms, we were still able to see a lot of their production lines through surrounding windows.

Throughout our 4 hour visit, I learned a lot about their entire portfolio of vascular devices, including Nitinol, Cobalt-Chrome, and bioresorbable stents, guide wires, and vessel closure tools. I worked on technical paperwork for the guide wires and vessel closure devices as a regulatory affairs intern for Abbott two summers ago, but this was the first time seeing them work up close. Most of the products here are handled and assembled by over 14 operators by the time they leave the facility – isn’t that amazing? I’m so fortunate to be working in a field that so neatly combines my interest in engineering and my passion for helping others. I can’t wait for the next industry tour!