USC Alumni Scupper – Society 53

July 25, 2017

Posted: February 26, 2017, 8:28pm

Named in honor of the 53 students who formed USC’s first student body in 1880, Society 53 was launched on November 5, 2008, at the Widney Alumni House, where those first students attended classes more than 135 years ago. It is the governing board of SAS, responsible for programming and events that bring current students and alumni together. Members of Society 53 also serve as USCAA student ambassadors. On 25thFeb, 2017, I had a chance to attend the annual Trojan Scupper hosted by two amazing alumni – Richard Oswald and Kimberly Casey. A group of around 20-25 students went to the residence in Manhattan Beach to engage in an amazing social networking event while getting tips and pieces of advice on progressing in our respective programs. The majority of people there belonged to Marshall’s school of Business, but the event was primarily intended to rejuvenate and enlighten us with the spirit of being a Trojan. It was incredible how people who have even graduated are still instilling this amazing spirit of belonging to this wonderful Trojan family.

The place was absolutely beautiful and studded with the Trojan SC merch. They made quite some preparations for dinner, my favorite being the Trojan adorned cupcakes. One definitely has a disadvantage being a vegetarian here, so I managed with a diet coke and the cupcake. Nevertheless, the event gave me quite a bit to remember. I met a lot of Undergraduate students from various backgrounds and it is incredible how everyone is proactive in learning and grabbing opportunities that this institution has to offer. I spoke to Richard and Kimberly for quite a while and their stories are just so inspirational. I learned a lot about the business ethic, about how important it is to network with the fellow Trojans and the wonders that a business card can bring along.

I hope to attend more of these events, especially dedicated towards the Viterbi Alumni. There’s just so much one learns from these accomplished folks.

Oh, these were the delicious cupcakes we had!

Published on July 25th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017