VGSA Soccer Tournament 2017

July 25, 2017

Posted: March 5, 2017, 9:49pm

The Viterbi Graduate Student Association organized a soccer tournament where students from each department formed teams and competed against each other. Today was the final match and the CS department won the tournament. But that’s not even the best part. The best part is that the winning team gets to play another match with the Dean’s team. Don’t we have the coolest Dean ever? Everyone told me that our Dean is a really good soccer player. I’m really excited to watch this match. This tournament was held this weekend and the last weekend. We had 10 teams competing for the trophy. What I really liked about this tournament was that I got to meet so many people from different departments and it was like the entire Viterbi School came together for this event. I personally was cheering for Mork department because I thought they played really good and made a great team but unfortunately, they lost in finals. But that’s okay! Better luck next tournament.

(The above picture was taken by Yudi Hu who is a VGSA Department Senator for Mork department and a good friend of mine)

Today, during the semi-finals match, the weather was beautiful. It was sunny, bright and warm. I was in charge of the field duty which means I literally run behind the balls that go out of the field. I honestly loved the job given to me. All the running around was a good workout and made me feel like I was part of the game too. Haha! It was super windy during the finals match. We literally had to hold down our tent. It was an intense match. Both the teams played really well so there was no goal till the end.

I believe that the beauty of the sport is that it brings everyone together and the whole environment is filled with positive vibes. I can’t wait for another year for the next VGSA Soccer tournament. I’m hoping by next tournament, I’ll learn the rules.

Published on July 25th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017