Visiting Endeavour

July 27, 2017

Posted: April 28, 2016, 12:03pm

Last Friday, ASTE senator (and fellow Viterbi Pulse blogger!) Roderic Vanderscoff hosted a series of related events for engineering students here at Viterbi. In the morning, a group of us visited the California Science Center and saw Endeavour OV-105 with Dr. Matt Melis, a researcher at NASA’s Glenn Research Center. The last time I saw Endeavour was my sophomore year when it flew over USC on a 747. I’ll never forget seeing it cruise through the sky accompanied by two F-18 jets. Although it was a little sad seeing it immobile in the showroom, it was still incredible to see all of the details on the black tiles and white blankets covering the surface.  Dr. Melis pointed out many features that I would not have noticed if I walked around on my own.

After our tour, we had a great lunch at Moreton Fig on campus with other AME and ASTE students, and moved on to Dr. Melis’s talk about the Columbia Accident Investigation in the afternoon. Although I wasn’t able to make it to this last portion, I still learned a great deal about the space shuttle program and some technical aspects of astronautical engineering. Thank you to Roderic for putting together these amazing events! It was a wonderful way to wrap up the week!

Published on July 27th, 2017

Last updated on January 20th, 2021