Winter Break

July 27, 2017

Posted: January 13, 2016, 9:39am

For the 5th Christmas in a row, I was lucky enough to go to Hong Kong with my family to visit my grandparents! After finals, I took a quick trip to San Francisco to see some of my friends, but before I knew it, I was on a 14-hour flight to Asia. On the way, I watched a bunch of movies that came out in the last year: A Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Martian, The Intern, Mistress America, Trainwreck, Guardians of the Galaxy (for the billionth time), and more! While in my parent’s hometown of Kowloon, we visited many of our favorite restaurants and sites. Although my brother and I have gone to these places dozens of times, each visit is still so special because we only get to eat certain things or see these buildings and monuments only once a year. I ended up buying a bunch of candy and snacks for my labmates at school to share with them some of the treats I grew up with.

For New Year’s, we took a side trip to Seoul, Korea. My aunt and brother have gone before, but it was my very first time! When we weren’t eating enormous portions of real Korean barbeque and fried chicken, my family and I toured some of the palaces and historic attractions. It is incredible how some cities can have such a drastic contrast between old and new architecture. These visits and experiences make me wish Los Angeles took care of its landmarks more. Almost every day, I drive past classic theaters and antique storefronts that are all boarded up and left to rot. Perhaps this semester, I can look into getting involved with a local heritage group. Anyways, I’m glad to be back!

Published on July 27th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017