Women’s March in LA

July 28, 2017

Posted: February 3, 2017, 10:16am

Two weekends ago, my mom and I attended the Women’s March held in Downtown Los Angeles. I saw the event postings many months prior, and had been waiting for this day to show my support for many of the social issues I care deeply about. Luckily for us, we weren’t too far away from the starting location, Pershing Square. My apartment is in South Park, so we walked only about 7 blocks to the meeting area. Some of my friends coming from Pasadena and USC faced huge lines at the Metro stations and were stuck in traffic jams heading into the city. I’ve never seen so many people in one place. An estimated 500,000 came out for the LA march – a significant portion of the 3-4 million Americans across the country!

Seeing everybody there warmed my heart, and I genuinely wanted to cry at certain times. There were people of all genders, ages, ethnicities, etc. and the entire march was extremely peaceful. Never once did I feel like I was in danger or in harms way. There were stages set up in multiple locations from Pershing Square all the way to City Hall, dedicated to various speakers and musicians supporting equal rights. There were also hundreds of vendors lining Broadway, representing everything from food stands to community clubs. I’ve never felt more proud to be from Los Angeles. We are what America looks like!! Fight On!

Published on July 28th, 2017

Last updated on August 10th, 2017