Workshop at the school across town

Posted: December 5, 2016, 5:19pm

So much of my life these days has been consumed with interactions and collaborations with medical doctors, oncologists, and pathologists in the various cancer centers that our lab works with. That’s been a joy and privilege, but every once in a while I go back to my roots and spend some time with the people of my academic upbringing: the maths crowd.

I attended a workshop on the synergies between statistical modeling (which generally shows strong, useful correlations between variables but without mechanistic or causal inference) and physical modeling (which generally helps add intuition and mechanistic explanations for real-world phenomena, but lacks simplicity and computational tractability). The topic is quite broad and general, but each talk focuses in on a specific question in a specific field. Today we heard talks in molecular dynamics, game theory optimization, high dimensional data reduction, and vortex dynamics. Very cool stuff!

I say that we went to the school across town because it’s football season: you can never be too careful about mentioning your school’s rival by name, even in an academic setting. Fight on Trojans! Beat the Lions in the Rose Bowl!

Here’s a picture of day one at the IPAM institute.