Presenting at the USC Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine Retreat

November 15, 2017

Posted: November 15, 2017, 6:32pm

My labmates – Andrew Peteresen, Davi Leite, and Jeffrey Santoso – presenting their research to students and faculty.

Last month, I attended my first Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine Departmental Retreat since starting my PhD program. Hosted by the USC department of the same name, this two-day conference brings student researchers, post-docs, faculty, and administrators together to explore the studies being conducted across the university that falls within these exciting fields. Covering topics such as the molecular biology of stem cell state, disease and therapeutics, and engineering and bioinformatics, the whole group had the opportunity to think about potential collaborations and potential applications to their own projects.

After a series of talks, we had a poster session to display even more work. Every student in my lab (6 of us in total!) presented our research here to share our results and gather feedback. During this session, I met many giants in this field, including Dr. Andrew McMahon, Dr. Henry Sucov, Dr. Gage Crump, and Dr. Justin Ichida. Since we were the only biomedical engineering students there, we had many people stop by to learn more about our platforms and how we can incorporate them into other types of tissues and studies. I learned a lot more about stem cell differentiation as well – I hope to use some of this knowledge in my own experiments. If you’re interested in studying or treating human diseases with regenerative medicine, make sure to look at USC’s Stem Cell Core!

Published on November 15th, 2017

Last updated on April 1st, 2021