Kicking off 2018 with a Weekend in Austin

January 11, 2018

Posted: January 11, 2018, 5:09pm

Staring lovingly at some Nashville hot chicken.

For the first weekend of the year, I flew to Austin to visit one of my best friends from undergrad! I had seen her before about a year and a half ago, but it was about time to see her and Texas again. She had moved recently to The Triangle north of UT, so we spent a bit of time in her awesome apartment (with high ceilings and a balcony!) and the surrounding area. I had some incredible French food, Tex-Mex tacos, Nashville hot chicken, and some real Texan queso. We also checked out some local antique stores, bookshops, and a bar that hosted “chicken bingo” – a betting game where you win a pot of cash if the chicken poops on your tile. Throughout all of this, we reminisced on old times and started planning our next few trips. San Francisco and Utah are coming soon!

My awesome god-pup, Mose!

I also had plenty of time to hang out with her 1.5-year-old dog, Mose. He’s my first god-pup, so I brought him a Hello Kitty toy and some organic treats from Hong Kong. I’m glad we had him around because we ended up going on several walks around the neighborhood where I got to enjoy the beautiful weather. The trip felt far too short, but I’ll be back soon enough. There are so many other things to try in or near Austin, including the municipal pools and state parks, so I’m thinking about heading over again near the end of summer. Hope Mose remembers me!

Published on January 11th, 2018

Last updated on April 1st, 2021