Horse Racing at Santa Anita Park

March 21, 2018

Posted: March 21, 2018, 2:13pm

Last month, USC’s Graduate Student Government (GSG) hosted an outing at the famous Santa Anita Park, a Thoroughbred racetrack located nearby in Arcadia. Although I grew up right next to this venue (my childhood mall is on the same block), I never had the chance to see the horses growing up. Everyone had a chance to purchase a subsidized ticket, which includes lunch and a beautiful box seat.

There were about 12 races happening that day, with each of them being different lengths and different racing surfaces. It was really interesting learning from the regulars about the unique aspects of horse racing, like the horse’s heritage, the course attributes, and attendee traditions.

It was also really exciting to see “USC Graduate Student Government” acknowledged on the main display, which you can see in the picture above. There were about 20 of us in attendance so we all cheered to represent USC. Hopefully I’ll get to take my family soon to enjoy the views of the San Gabriel Mountains and experience the thrill of a race!

Published on March 21st, 2018

Last updated on March 21st, 2018