Asian AF Laughs

February 20, 2019

Last Friday night, my brother and I attended the Asian AF show at the UCB Theatre in Los Angeles. As the premier Asian American variety show, they spotlighted a variety of Asian American actors, comedians, and all-around performers throughout the night. For this particular show, the theme was music, so JR De Guzman serenaded the audience with a handful of hilarious songs.

Following that wonderful and entertaining opening, there were two quick sketches that poked fun at reality dating shows and the Netflix film, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Live comedy just gets me giggling, especially if the actors crack and laugh at their own jokes. Every UCB show has impressed and surprised me thus far, and Asian AF was no exception.

As a huge fan of quick wit and thinking, I was blown away by the performers that had to do musical improv. Coming up with jokes on the fly seemed hard enough, but in this instance, they also had to make their jokes rhyme and go along with the melody! It was simply incredible.

Although the title of this show is Asian AF and there were many jokes sprinkled throughout that hit on Asian or Asian American references, this was a show that anyone could enjoy (not dissimilar to Crazy Rich Asians!). If you want to check this group out, you can find ticket links at asianafshow.com. I highly recommend it!!

Published on February 20th, 2019

Last updated on April 1st, 2021